Tax Agent Certification
For associate members looking to take the next step in their careers and become registered tax agents, that means bridging the gap between a Diploma (or higher) award, and the skill sets required to serve clients effectively as a tax agent.
Monarch Institute is the IPA’s training provider of choice. Their Tax Agent Certification Course is comprised of the two nationally recognised skill sets required, in addition to a full qualification. Moanrch’s Tax Agent Certification Course is delivered by highly experienced accountants and current practicing tax agents with decades of experience. As a 100% online course with full support available from expert trainers, it’s also made to fit the busy practicing lives of IPA members.
Becoming a registered tax agent
To apply to become a registered tax agent, you must have a certain combination of qualifications and relevant work experience. For most people, this means a Diploma and/or Advanced Diploma of Accounting, plus Tax Practitioners Board-approved courses in Australian taxation law and commercial law.
The Tax Agent Certification course is a great pathway to registration for aspiring tax agents whose primary qualification did not include the requisite courses. It’s designed to leave students feeling confident and prepared to take on the tax agent certification exams mandated by the TPB.
Studying with Monarch Institute
Feel like you’re over old-fashioned classroom education? So did the founders of Monarch. They wanted to create learning experiences that left students ready to take on real-world workplace challenges. That’s why your time with Monarch won’t be like the education you’ve gone through in the past. It’s all about learning when and where it suits you. There are no class times, campus hours, compulsory workshops, or in-person assessments. At the same time, you get great one-on-one support from trainers, via phone, email, Facebook, Zoom, office hours, and more.
Nationally recognised units of competency
The Tax Agent Certification Course is made up of six nationally recognised units. The units are divided into two modules.
Module 1 - Australian taxation law
Prepare tax documentation for individuals (MTL001) (FNSACC512) and Prepare and administer tax documentation for legal entities (MTL002) (FNSACC601).
- Annuities and foreign pensions
- Capital gains tax
- Code of conduct
- Concepts of income (assessable and exempt), deductions, tax offsets and tax losses
- Employee remuneration, including fringe benefits tax
- Ethical and professional responsibilities of tax (financial) advisers, including obligations under the Tax Agent Services Act (TASA) and Tax Agent Services Regulations (TASR)
- Fringe benefits tax
- Goods and services tax
- International taxation
- Regulatory framework for tax practitioners
- Small-business entities and trading stock as applicable to individuals
- Superannuation and self-managed superannuation funds – taxation of contributions fund earnings
- Tax administration, including assessments, amendments, objections and compliance
- Tax anti-avoidance provisions
- Tax planning
- Tax treatment for entities such as trusts, partnerships, companies, primary producers and associations
- Tax treatments for individuals
- Termination payments
Module 2 - Commercial law
Apply legal principles in contract and consumer law (MCL001) (FNSTPB503), Apply legal principles in corporations and trust law (MCL002) (FNSTPB504), and Apply legal principles in property law (MCL003) (FNSTPB505).
- Aspects of the law of torts, particularly negligence and negligent misstatement
- Choosing business structure
- Contract formation, validity and performance
- Directors’ duties
- Framework of the Australian legal system
- Fundamental legal concepts of business organisational structures
- Intellectual property
- Interests in real property
- Introductory contract law
- Key provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act, particularly those relating to misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Managing property risk
- Negligence and risk
- Personal property
- Shared and transferred interests
- The company – a separate legal entity
Get started today
As a member of the IPA, you are entitled to a 5% discount if you are a full fee-paying student for this Monarch Institute Qualification. To learn more about this offer and start your enrolment, contact Emil on 1300 738 955 or email Emil direct on [email protected].
There are no term dates or enrollment deadlines. At Monarch Institute, you can start your studies when it suits you.
Check out the course brochure here, or click here to begin your enrolment today.