Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping
The IPA is committed to delivering quality education pathways. It’s a logical step towards our mission of improving the quality of life of small business across Australia.
Choosing the right education provider means ensuring our members graduate from nationally accredited courses ready to work effectively for clients. That’s why we’re pleased to recommend Monarch Institute as our training provider of choice. Monarch was founded by finance industry veterans with a passion for real-world education. Their accounting and bookkeeping courses are delivered by senior CPAs, chartered accountants, and registered BAS agents with decades of combined experience.
You deserve a professional education that’s made to fit you. With Monarch, you can study on your own schedule, where and when you want. You’ll be supplied with all the textbooks and materials you need to learn effectively. And you’ll have one-on-one support on call from expert trainers via email, phone, Facebook, and Zoom.
You’ll be in good company when you graduate with your Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping. Today, Monarch Institute graduates serve thousands of small businesses all around Australia. So in addition to great support while you’re studying, you’ll join a strong network of alumni.
Starting out as a registered BAS agent
There are a few important prerequisites for registration as a BAS agent with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). Relevant nationally accredited education is one half of those requirements. Monarch Institute’s Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping meets the TPB education requirements. With this qualification, your last remaining hurdle is the work experience. As a voting member of the Institute of Public Accountants, this means you will be required to complete (or have completed, in the last four years) at least 1,000 hours of relevant work experience.
For more information on registration, including up-to-the-minute requirements, make sure to check the TPB website.
Your Monarch Institute study experience
Start any time
You can start your studies any time that works for you. With rolling enrolments, there are no deadlines or census dates holding you back.
You’ll get full support from your trainers via phone, email, Facebook, Zoom, office hours and more. But it’s a genuinely online-only course, so you’ll never be required to visit a campus for lessons or assessments.
Nationally recognised, TPB approved
Monarch is a board approved course provider. Your Certificate IV will be a nationally recognised qualification.
Learn industry-standard software
You’ll get the chance to learn Xero or MYOB through realistic workplace scenario tasks. It’s just one of the ways Monarch Institute will help you graduate job-ready.
Government funding available
Some students in Victoria and Queensland may be eligible for government funding. Criteria apply. See the Monarch’s website for more details.
Multiple small assessments
Your assessments will be small, manageable, and most importantly, modelled on real life workplace challenges. The only exams are the TPB-mandated two two-hour open book exams for BAS agent certification.
What you’ll learn
Module 1 - Establishing solid foundations – accounting fundamentals
- Preparing the trial balance
- Income statements
- Balance sheets
- Inventory accounting and valuation methods
- Completion of general journal and special journal entries
- Posting journal entries to general ledger accounts
- Using subsidiary debtors and creditors accounts
- Completing bank reconciliations
- How to apply accrual accounting principles
- Cash accounting
- Applying GST rules to transactions
- Depreciation methods and calculations
- Accredited units:
- FNSACC311 Process financial transactions and extract interim reports
- FNSACC312 Administer subsidiary accounts and ledgers
- BSBFIA401 Prepare financial reports
- FNSACC405 Maintain inventory records
Module 2 - Real world essentials - practice and business taxation
- Superannuation guarantee
- Payroll taxes
- Stamp duty
- Land tax
- Not-for-profit organisations
- Introduction to business taxation
- Income tax business basics
- Fringe benefits tax
- Financial reporting and the regulatory environment
- Accredited units:
- FNSINC401 Apply principles of professional practice to work in the financial services industry
- FNSACC411 Process business tax requirements
Module 3 - Big bucks for business – payroll, activity statements and computing
- Fringe benefits tax
- Alternative GST and BAS accounting methods
- Completing the business activity statement
- Activity statement lodgements and payments
- Cloud computing needs and implementation for businesses
- PAYG and instalment activity statements
- The goods and services tax
- The mechanics of GST and the BAS
- Methods for calculating GST liability
- Luxury car tax
- Fuel tax credits
- Wine equalisation tax
- Setting up payroll
- PAYG withholding tax
- Processing payroll leave entitlements
- Maintaining the system
- Providing BAS services
- Recording day to day transactions – sales, purchases and journals
- Reconciling accounts – bank, stock, payables and receivables.
- Essential reporting – trial balance, profit and loss, balance sheet
- Understanding payroll
- Payroll calculations
- Setting up the company file using MYOB or Xero
- Creating contacts
- Modifying the chart of accounts
- Accredited units:
- FNSACC416 Set up and operate a computerised accounting system
- FNSTPB402 Establish and maintain payroll systems (MPA001)
- FNSTPB401 Complete business activity and instalment activity statements (MAS001)
- BSBSMB412 Introduce cloud computing in to business operations
Module 4 - Clever calculations and procedures – effective work practices
- Work effectively in the accounting and bookkeeping industry
- Professional working relationships
- Team work
- Continuing professional education
- The budgeting process
- Preparation of master and operating budgets
- Monitoring performance against budget
- Essential business mathematics
- Calculations for percentages, interest, annuities, depreciation
- Break even analysis and graphs
- Business statistics
- FNSACC313 Perform financial calculations
- FNSACC412 Prepare operational budgets
- FNSACC408 Work effectively in the accounting & bookkeeping industry
Get started today
As a member of the IPA, you are entitled to a 5% discount if you are a full fee-paying student for this Monarch Institute Qualification. To learn more about this offer and start your enrolment, contact Emil on 1300 738 955 or email Emil direct on firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no term dates or enrollment deadlines. At Monarch Institute, you can start your studies when it suits you.