BAS Agent Registration Skill Set
The IPA is proud to deliver quality education pathways through our recommended training providers. We only recommend training that’s in line with our mission to improve the quality of life of small business. This means education that prepares students to serve clients effectively from the get-go. In other words, training that leaves you job-ready.
Monarch Institute is our training provider of choice. Established by finance industry veterans who wanted to deliver real-world training that actually served graduates and business, Monarch delivers a variety of nationally accredited qualifications in accounting and bookkeeping. Today, thousands of Monarch graduates serve small businesses around the country, in sole practice and big-name firms alike.
Getting registered as a professional BAS agent
Education is one of the biggest hurdles to registering as a professional BAS agent with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). Currently, the requirement is that you have a Certificate IV level qualification in financial services (accounting and/or bookkeeping), plus a board approved course in GST and BAS.
If your Certificate IV qualification didn’t include the units in the board approved course, you can upgrade and meet the requirements with the BAS Agent Registration Skill Set. This two-unit short course is designed to get you up to speed and fulfil your education requirements as soon as possible, whilst ensuring you’re ready for the rigours of work experience and/or professional practice.
Studying with Monarch Institute
Study when and where you want – no class times, campus hours, or compulsory workshops. Enjoy great one-to-one support from expert trainers via phone, email, Facebook, Zoom, and more.
Unlike many other providers, your Monarch course fee includes all textbooks and learning materials, including student edition access to the accounting software of your choice (MYOB or Xero). Most of your assessments will be short, manageable, and based on real-life work challenges. For each unit, there is a two-hour open book independently supervised assessment for BAS agent certification, mandated by the TPB.
About the BAS Agent Registration Skill Set
The BAS Agent Registration Skill Set (FNSSS00004) is made up of two units:
Establish and maintain payroll systems (using MYOB or Xero) (MPA001) (FNSTPB402)
This unit is designed to get you ready to:
- Establish payroll requirements, including relevant legislation and modern awards
- Record payroll data
- Prepare and process payroll, including calculations, reconciliations, and payroll records
- Handle payroll enquiries from staff members in a responsible and ethical manner
- Maintain payroll records securely and in compliance with important regulations
- Complete business activity and instalment activity statements (using MYOB or Xero (MAS001) (FNSTPB401)
This unit will guide you through:
- The compliance requirements around BAS, IAS and other required reports
- How to recognise and apply GST implications, including coding transactions
- Reporting on payroll activities, including amounts withheld from pay for tax
- Completing and reconciling activity statements with other control accounts
- Lodging and activity statement, including appropriate signoffs
Get started today
As a member of the IPA, you are entitled to a 5% discount if you are a full fee-paying student for this Monarch Institute Qualification. To learn more about this offer and start your enrolment, contact Emil on 1300 738 955 or email Emil direct on [email protected].
There are no term dates or enrollment deadlines. At Monarch Institute, you can start your studies when it suits you.
Click here to download a brochure or click here to enrol today.